17 July 2011

Chocolate & Mint buttercream cupcakes


Until few months ago I thought the idea of combining mint and chocolate together was horrible...let alone eating it. This until we took the girls to Avery Hill Park where a small Cafe by the playground does huge ice cream scoops and I braved myself into giving it one more try. Well don't know what it was, but something just clicked...the flavours were a match made in heaven! I ate that chocolate&mint ice cream hoping it would never finish! Of course it was my turn now trying to mix the two flavours together...so here you go a lovely chocolate and mint cupcake!
Although I am converted to chocolate & mint there is still something that I can't stomach...chocolate and orange. I mean seriously? that just doesn't go together!  I doubt I'll ever change my mind on this...although that is what I used to say about the chocolate-mint match. Well I guess we shall wait and see :) 


What I loved about these chocolate cupcakes was the intense chocolate flavour. The cake stays moist even after 24 hours and it is not too sweet so there is no risk of being too sickly. Because the chocolate flavour is so intense a light buttercream is the perfect frosting. I love how the mint tingles all my taste buds, then the chocolate comes, invades and mesh with it :)


Chocolate & Mint buttercream cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes

Ingredients:

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
7 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
7 tablespoons buttermilk
1 large egg
1 large egg white

Directions:
Preheat oven to 175 C. Line 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.

In another bowl combine the cocoa and 5 tablespoons hot water until a thick paste is formed(this process should intensify the chocolate flavor).
Once you have the chocolate paste add the butter, buttermilk, egg, and egg white and beat until combined. Whisk in the flour mixture one spoonful at a time.

Scoop the batter into the prepared cases, and bake for about 15-17 minutes until cooked or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.

When ready take them out of the oven and transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely. Decorate as you like. I have dusted some cocoa powder and made some sugar paste leaves.

Source: adapted from honey & jam, originally adapted from Martha Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment